It’s time for another edition of the YDH2S newsletter, where we give you the scoop on a ton of dance parties that we put on ourselves or think you’ll want to hit up.
We’ve reached the height of the summer, and we’re doing one last backyard party, this week at the Diamond in Greenpoint. We’re going to be throwing a party Weekend at Bernie’s-style so definitely come check us out – go here.
(This newsletter will be published as a fancy email as well as on our Tumblr. The Tumblr will be updated as things progress, so it’s always the most current. You can subscribe to the newsletter, follow us on Twitter, and follow us on Tumblr or read this newsletter on Tumblr, eschewing the mere idea of subscriptions. Faugh!).
Fri 8/8 – Full Moon Fest w/JDH & Fave P, many more @ Governor’s Island
Fri 8/8 – Rinsed: Surveillance w/Julio Bashmore @ mystery location, BK
Sat 8/9 – You Don’t Have to Settle presents WEEKEND AT BERNIE’S 2 @ the Diamond
Sat 8/9 – Crazy Since da 90s @ Union Hall
Sat 8/9 – No Tears @ Friends & Lovers
Fri 8/15 – Brooklyn New Beat w/Jacques Renault, Will Eastman @ Bossa Nova Civic Club
Sat 8/16 – Feeling Gloomy @ Grand Victory
Tues 8/19 – Röyksopp @ Output
Sat 8/23 – DFA Summer Soiree w/Holy Ghost!, Nancy Whang @ the Wick
Every Thursday – Air a Danser
YOU DON’T HAVE TO SETTLE presents WEEKEND AT BERNIE’S 2
*Last edition of the summer @ The Diamond, Greenpoint
It’s summertime and that means only one thing: using voodoo to resurrect dead guys who move to music, use them to find 2 million dollars, and maybe do some conga dancing along the way. We’re short the 2 million dollars, so we’re just going to celebrate one of our favorite summer movies by dancing around in the sun with some dead guys to our favorite tropical-sounding music and call it even.
Last time was a hell of a good time. It looked like this.
Mister Disco (Happy House)
Brian Blackout (Head On)
Lepaux (Head On)
DJ DR MR
- + Live dead Bernie! I mean…there will be at least one dead guy there, for you to, um, dance with.
- + If we stop the music, you have to die. And you’d best slowly come back to life when the music comes back. Basically your typical Saturday in Greenpoint.
- + Recommended dress attire: Hawaiian shirts, white slacks, sunglasses, sideways baseball caps, windbreakers, shorts with sport coats, accountant attire circa 1993, bikinis, snorkel gear, flowery tops, anything you’d wear in a conga line
- + We’ll all do our best not to get sunburnt. Use protection.
- + FOOD!
While the music kicks off at 6, at 4pm Garvey’s Ghost Dog will be setting up shop and serving their phenomenal hot dogs for $5, including roasted plantains, pickled calooloos, and roti flatbread.
You Don’t Have to Settle presents
WEEKEND AT BERNIE’S 2
Saturday, August 9th @ the Diamond
43 Franklin St, Greenpoint, Bk.
G to Nassau / L to Bedfordh
YDH2S on Facebook
Pics from our last time at the Diamond
FEELING GLOOMY salutes the GORGEOUS LADIES OF GLOOM
Men are very good at being miserable, it’s true. Yet, truthfully, we tend to focus on the miserable men of the world far too much, and give short shrift to a group we care about very much here at Feeling Gloomy HQ: miserable ladies. Yes it was women who perfected running mascara, who championed weeping when men were afraid to tread, who wrestled with ennui, who probably feel more feels than any man.
So this month we want to pay special tribute to the GORGEOUS LADIES OF GLOOM (we watched a lot of professional wrestling as children, sorry). So we will be focusing on all the GLOGs of the musical rainbow, and just about anything that makes GLOGs either happy, or in equal turns, miserable.
- + Your favorite depressed DJs Gordon and Nathaniel Gloom will be playing the best sad yet danceable songs by and about women. Songs about being embarrassed about being sad, men treating their lovers wrong, and of course, crying your heart out.
- + Because we’re an equal opportunity dance party and because this is no normal “ladies night,” any human dressed as a GLOG will get in for a dollar off. Ladies, be yourselves. Men, consider being a lady for the evening. We hear it’s quite nice. In any case you can save a buck instead of paying $6 like a chump.
Feeling Gloomy salutes the Gorgeous Ladies of Gloom
w/DJs Gordon & Nathaniel Gloom
Saturday, August 16 @ the Grand Victory
245 Grand St, Williamsburg
L/G to Metropolitan
$4 advance / $6 at the door / $5 if a lady or dressed as one
Feeling Gloomy NYC FB Group
The Brothers Gloom on Twitter
Crazy Since da 90s
Crazy Since da 90s is all about the drop top / windows down / 2 miles an hour so everyone sees you summertime joints that’ll get you all wet and wild like that backyard slip n slide.
Feel the vibrations tonight and get funky as we take you on a fantastic voyage through your favorite decade of all time.
So come crash our house party, sip on that gin & juice, and jump jump!
DJs: STEFONIX :: BRENDAN :: BIANCA
FREE before 11pm for the first 100 RSVPs
$5 after 11pm or w/o RSVP
**$7 gin & juice drink special all night**
Crazy Since da 90s
w/DJs Stefonix, Brendan, Bianca & Raichous
Saturday, August 9 @ Union Hall
702 Union St, Park Slope, Brooklyn
R to Union / Everything to Atlantic Terminal
AIR A DANSER
Air a Danser –
Laid back music selections by :
Matt Brownell & Steve ShakeWell
Air a Danser is:
An “All Filler, No Killer” get together, featuring the sounds of :
– relieving the turnstile stress, smooth operating, hot sax, tranquillo, and other urban beach bar vibes
Happy Hr Specials til 7pm
– $ 3 select drafts
– $ 4 well
– $ 10 burger & beer
**Frozen Balearic Breezes
…our own signature rum drink, a take on Steve’s bay breeze
a tasty Caribbean themed menu